Welcome back to the One Room Challenge where we are making over Kristen’s bathroom! We have already gotten a lot finished in the last couple weeks. We started big with the bathtub and tiling the shower surround. That was pretty much the entire reason we decided to join the challenge – we were in desperate need of a new tub! If you missed out on the first few weeks take a look back by clicking through the links below.
This week has been about finishing up items. My husband was able to get the new sink faucet put on that matches the tub and shower spouts. Other things we accomplished were sealing around the tile edges and touching up the wall paint where it got scrubbed from the tub coming out. I still need to paint the ceiling, but to be honest I’m not sure if that is going to get finished this go around! Ugh! Sometimes there just isn’t enough time!
I have also been looking for a new mirror but haven’t been able to find something I like that fits. It is kind of an awkward area. I would like a big mirror, but with the outlet located immediately above the sink it makes it hard to find the right mirror!
But one thing I did get finished is my “new” medicine cabinet! I actually found it at the Oronoco “Gold Rush Days” flea market a year ago and am finally completing it!
It is a really nice size, is very old and came with old purple paint! Needless to say it needed to be painted! It was a little beat up, but I didn’t mind. I like the rough look of old pieces sometimes and decided that the dings and knicks just added to the character of this particular piece so I left it as is!
I grabbed some Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint in “Farmhouse” white and gave it a few coats. Since I was going over purple with white it did take quite a few coats to completely cover so my white looked white and not grayish. I then decided to seal it with “tough coat” since it was going into a high moisture area. It took a while because I had to do the inside as well which was also painted purple.
Originally I thought I was going to cover the glass windows with paper but then decided I would do an antiqued mirror look. Normally you would want to do this part BEFORE you paint, but, well… I didn’t! Oh well! So instead I just covered up my new paint with paper and tape to keep the mirror spray only on the glass.
I actually really love the results of the mirror spray! I thought it was going to take a long time to get it opaque between spraying 5 coats and it drying, but when I read the directions you can re-coat in only a minute! What I thought was going to take hours really only took about 15 minutes tops! It was great. I would highly recommend this product if you are looking to do something similar. It was a bit difficult to get my coats completely even, but that could be operators error. It wasn’t perfect but did look very “antique-y” to me though so I didn’t mind!
Hanging this piece back up completely finished was very satisfying! I love having the extra storage for things like tooth brushes, contact lenses, combs, face lotion and the like. It was super annoying to have to go to the linen closet just to brush your teeth!
And next week is the Reveal! I have already purchased a new shower curtain, rugs, and soap dispenser so I will get to put everything back together this week. I can’t wait for you all to see how it turns out! It is going to be quite different! Definitely watch for our post next week!