Deal of the Week Alert! Or maybe this could be considered deal of the month…its that good! Can you believe we snagged this coffee table for only $5!
I couldn’t either…especially since it was a very solid piece and was put up on an online auction. I definitely thought there would be more interest in this particular piece and that there would be a risk of losing it if it went higher than my budget. I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong! But I guess it isn’t very pretty is it…
Because my husband and I have a rental as well as hand-me-down furniture still, the design plan was to go neutral, however, I still wanted to put a bit of character into it. Therefore I decided to go with a distressed look.
Luckily the table itself didn’t need much fixing at all (surprised again that this wasn’t more expensive…) All it needed was to tighten up the screws for the legs and voila! done. I did sand down the entire piece though as well. The top was sanded with the electric sander to get the shallow scratches off as well as the water rings.
The legs of this particular coffee table were painted a dark green, and because I didn’t want to sand or strip all of that paint off I decided to paint the table with Annie Sloan’s “French Linen” which is a grayish color, as the base coat. I applied two coats of this color since I knew I wanted to distress the top color for the French Linen to show through, but I didn’t want to allow any of that green to show!
Next I painted one coat of Annie Sloan’s Old White over the top of the French Linen. Applying only one coat of the Old White was perfect because it allowed the French Linen to show through a bit, especially on the table top. Which means less sanding for me to distress it!
After all those layers of paint, it was time to distress the table for the look I wanted. Using a fine grit sanding block I sanded the entire piece to distress it. I focused on the table top corners and edges and distressed a bit more on those areas and less in the middle. For the legs and aprons I again focused mainly on the edges, but to make it look more cohesive I did distress some areas in the middle of the aprons, the drawer front, as well as the length of the rounded part of the legs.
The last step was just to seal it with Polycrylic. Normally I like wax on chalk paint because it really gives it a nice matte sheen, however, I like the added protection a polycrylic gives a piece. I applied 4 coats to the table top and 2 on the legs.
This table is now the perfect “new” piece for our living room! It is a lot sturdier than our last table and has a nice drawer we can hide our notebooks, pens and other unnecessary items that need to be hidden!
A new drawer pull was also added to elevate and completely transform this piece.
I’m very happy with the way our table turned out and I know I did a good job when my husband compliments and loves the piece as much as I do! 😉 I’m slowly turning him into a furniture fanatic like me!
More you may also love…