So it’s $100 Room Challenge time again! We love teaming up with Erin of Lemons, Lavender and Laundry to complete these challenges. They help us to get organized in a timely manner and certainly tap into our creativity! It is definitely a challenge to create new ways to do a room without needing to spend a great deal of money while still finishing in a short amount of time.
This is our 4th $100 Room Challenge and we absolutely love it! We previously did my living room, and bathroom and then Kristen’s laundry room. (Click the links to check out those makeovers!) For this challenge we are going to be revamping a spare bedroom in Vicki’s empty-nester home. While Vicki still needs a couple spare bedrooms for guests and college – age kids on occasion, we badly need an area where our creative pursuits can really take place!
Here is the “Before” picture. As you can see the bed has already been removed and fabric and sewing items need to be put away!
We do have our shop where our painting furniture and building new projects for our store take place, but we didn’t really have a space for our smaller crafts like creating wreaths, small craft items, to sewing pillows and runners and designing plaques on our computer. Many times these types of items were created at Vicki’s dining room table. Can you tell where we are going with this? Yup! we are going to convert an extra bedroom into a craft room! Whoohoo! And it is really badly needed!
To begin we will share our plan for this room. One of Vicki’s pet peeves is having to look around for a tool or craft item we need to use, so organization is going to be a top priority!
Here is what we hope to achieve:
- The color of the walls is staying – it was painted a couple years ago and is a great neutral. The floors are also original to the house and we love them just the way they are! But to offset all these brown tones, we plan to bring in white furniture and accessories.
- On of the first goals is to create “zones” for the various types of creative pursuits we do for our business and store.
- The 1st zone will be for sewing. The sewing machine, all the small notions, and bolts of fabric will need to be organized. A LOT of storage will be needed for this zone.
- The 2nd zone needed will be for general crafting. Items for wreaths, ornaments, and small home decor. Tools, glues, beads, buttons, lace – you name it! It all needs a place.
- The 3rd zone will be for our “design” space. This area we will need to be able to set up a computer and keep our silhouette machine and all of it’s supplies. We design our own plaques so this zone is key!
- Lastly, and this may depend on space, we would really like to incorporate a designated area for gift wrapping. A place to store gift wrap, ribbons, tissue paper and gift boxes.
As you can see this room challenge is going to be all about storage and organization, a “place for everything and everything in it’s place”. This would definitely make Vicki’s heart sing! She feels so much better if she can easily find things!
So how are we going to accomplish all of this using only $100 and one month?! Well that’s the challenge! We have some great ideas and plan to incorporate as many things from other rooms in Vicki’s home that she might not be utilizing fully. For example, she has a large dresser in her upstairs TV room that she was thinking about changing up anyway. It would be great storage for this space!
She also has a desk and chair that is currently being used for her sewing machine which will just need to be moved in here. She also has some small storage cabinets and apothecary drawer cabinets. It would be great to use them in here!
One of the items we may need to use some of our budget on is a craft table we can use for cutting out fabric, or creating a project. We imagine a table with many cubbies at the ends and accessible to all 4 zones. Something like the picture below.
We’re sure there will be all kinds of DIY projects in here as well! Either by creating the cubbies and tabletop or some kind of wall storage. (Like the inspiration picture below!)
Source: Ginger Snap Crafts
Stay tuned to see where we are going with this and how we keep it all under $100! We are beyond excited at the thought of a well-organized and central location for all things creative! And don’t forget to see what everyone else in the challenge is making over in their homes! The links are below.
Molly Swaffer says
What a great big space! Love the tablenwith cubbies on side idea. Good luck
Hey Ladies!, I am also doing my craft room this round. It will be fun to see how they all turn out. Maybe we can steal ideas from one another. Good luck!
I love this idea! I love to have everything organized and I can’t wait to see what y’all do! A craft room will be so fun!
Oh that sounds like such a fun room to do for the challenge! I can’t wait to see what you come up with for all that organization.
Brittany Goldwyn says
I’d kill for that craft/sewing peg board!!
I am in need of creating a functional and inspiring craft space myself so I can’t wait to get some inspiration from you!!
Rachael @ This is our Bliss says
What a great space for a craft room! I’m drooling over all the possibility of a dedicated and organized space for supplies and tools on the wall – what space it would save! Looking forward to your progress 😉
Beth Holt says
Can’t wait to see what the two of you come up with!